Community Service is an integral part of the Interscholastic Athletic experience. Through community service, student-athletes, coaches, and administrators are able to give back to the communities that support them each and every day!
GET INVOLVED AND BE A PART OF THE 2016-2017 NYSPHSAA COMMUNITY SERVICE CHALLENGE!
NYSPHSAA’s Community Service Challenge is a way to:
- Do something good your community and yourself!
- Get your voice heard on what matters in your community and what problems should be addressed.
- Learn effective problem solving, critical thinking, and project management skills.
- Strengthen your academic and social skills.
- Make academic content more relevant and practical…you get to use what you’re learning!
- Learn about potential careers by completing a project in collaboration with a community organization.
- Meet amazing people that you wouldn’t ordinarily get to meet. They’ll stretch the way you think about the world.
- Gain a sense of accomplishment.
You, too, can help change the world!
- Schools can set their own deadlines for applications. The deadline for submitting to the Section is no later than May 1st. The Section winners must be submitted to the NYSPHSAA no later than June 1st, with the State Champion being announced prior to school being dismissed.
- The State winner will be recognized for their service and accomplishment.
- All Sections will send their winner to the New York State Public High School Athletic Association where a committee will select the State winner.
- Each Section will evaluate all community service projects from their region and select a Section winner.
- Each athletic department will use certain criteria (available in the information packet below) to select the best community service project from their school. The community service project will be submitted to the Section.
For more information about the Community Service Challenge, download the Program Information and Application Form.
Check out Mahopac High School, the 2015-2016 Community Service Challenge Winner HERE!
Previous Community Service Challenge State Champions
2016 – Mahopac HIgh School (Section I)
2015 – King's Park High School (Section XI)
2014 – Arlington High School (Section I)
2013 – Columbia High School (Section II)
2012 – Ossining High School (Section I)
2011 – Adirondack Central School (Section III)